Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Back in Town

I spent a couple of days at my Mom's house. She's 80, still drives, but doesn't drive in Tulsa traffic. So every couple of weeks or so, I go over to her place, spend my "weekend" (I work Saturdays and Sundays, get Mondays and Tuesdays off) there, and take her shopping.

Took the bike, and managed to get in a couple of decent rides. Monday, I rode from Wagoner to Hulburt and back. It had rained the night before, but most of the pavement was dry by the time I started. Not much wind, but warm and humid. I didn't ride Sunday, so I was reasonably well rested. The route is mostly small rollers, and I averaged about 17.2 mph on the outbound leg. Stopped in Hulburt for a couple of minutes to catch my breath and take a swig of Gatorade.

Turned around and headed back. The wind might have picked up a bit or shifted my way, because I made much better time coming back. Average speed on the return leg was about 18.7 mph, and the last 4-5 miles I did between 20 and 22 mph. Got sprinkled on a bit on the return leg, which might also have been a motivating factor. Average speed for the whole ride was 17.9 mph.

Tuesday, I rode from Wagoner to Muskogee. Took SH 16 thru Okay and turned around just short of US 62. The route is flat to rolling. Couldn't manage as good a pace as yesterday's ride because my legs were still a little tired. Light breeze from the south. Averaged 16.8 mph going out, and 18.2 coming back. Average speed overall was 17.4 mph.

No comments: